Monday, January 23, 2012

round tables.

This past weekend I got to experience the pleasure of being surrounded by family. The art of getting away without really going away. And I guess that’s one of the many many perks of having relatives so near.

This past weekend we celebrated my Grandma’s 80th Birthday. She’s an amazing lady, to say the very least. And probably the thing that I admire most about her is her ability to find the best in everyone.

And while I sat at one of the round tables at her party and listened to each of her children talk about what she has taught them over the years, it made me realize how very lucky I am to have my mother. And not just my mom, but my entire family. Because they all teach me about different aspects of life. Whether it’s how to “work in a circle” or play a game of gin rummy. Or maybe how to shoot a basketball. Or even just how to look at things in a more artistic way in order to appreciate them on a whole new level. I am so very blessed. And no matter how small these things may seem, they’re really big to me. Because they have helped make me exactly who I have become. I am so very lucky to have a family that enjoys every moment we get together—a family that laughs more than any other that I’ve been around. Thank you.

And so I think it’s obvious to say that I really enjoyed my little weekend “away.” I got to spend the night at my Mimi’s house and watch as she went to town with her new laptop (that’s pretty damn impressive in my book!) I got to sit around the breakfast table with my aunt and uncle, eating scrambled eggs and buttered toast (and a really delicious coffee blend might I add!) I got to eat some of the best seafood ravioli I’ve ever had and talk about what I want to do with my life and about bus routes and what I’m learning in class. I got to laugh endlessly with my older cousin who’s always felt more like a sister to me. And I got to listen to my crazy parents talk endlessly about their “moves like jagger” too! It was a pretty awesome weekend in my book…

And this week is full of loose papers. Stains in the bottoms of my coffee cups. An assortment of teas. Little post-it notes all over the place. Scarves and rain boots and a couple layers of socks. Rain outside the window and slush on the ground. Music playing in the background. It’s full of flyers and fraternity recruiting. Meetings and projects and essays to write. And that feeling you get when you have two wonderful weekends to look forward to…

Happy Monday everybody!


1 comment:

  1. i appreciated this post veryy much on this crappy monday morning. rain here too. slush all over. thanks for your happy little twist on things that put me in a better mood with a more hopeful outlook on the day. i appreciate YOU :)

    ReplyDelete