Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Pens & Pumpkins!

Well, it's been a very very busy past week and a half! I can't believe it's already Wednesday and that this weekend is Halloween! Despite battling the flu this past weekend (I'm feeling much much better now), I managed to have a pretty great week. The workload should be winding down after this weekend and I should be able to enjoy the last couple of weeks of the first semester. Time flies.
But anyway, last Wednesday night brought me a spontaneous visit from none other than one of my very best friends, Colleen!! Colleen is a huuuuge Pens fan, and when we found out that AE Student Rush would be giving out 500 tickets to students, we know that we haaaad to go. So, she drove on over, got super-duper lost on the way, and was greeted by Lauren, D, and myself. We woke up early on Thursday (yay for cancelled classes!) and treated her to the best breakfast in Oakland--Pamela's of course!
this time i got the crepes filled with chocolate chips, bananas, and whipped cream...mmmmmm soooo good! and Coll got an omelet!

Afterwards, I gave her a little tour of the campus and then we made our way over to the Student Rush line at the Consol Energy Center. We were about 12th in line I'd say and we got there around 12:30 for the gates to open at 6:00. Despite the totally random and awful freezing cold weather, we had an AWESOME time! We met so many cool people in line and eventually a DJ came out and started playing music for us too. But here's me, summing up all the other cool things that happened to us in line:
1. the Pen's coach, as well as their GM, came out and handed everyone in line some hot chocolate!
2. colleen got her jersey signed by Dan Bylsma (the coach!)
3. i won a $50 gift card to american eagle! -thank youuu smartphone!
4. four of the players came out and gave all of us in line, boxes of pizza!
5. ours was personally delivered by one of colleen's absolute favorite players, jordan staal.
6. i got interviewed by some sort of pittsburgh news station!
7. friends and family saw us on tv receiving pizza!
 jersey signing!
 jordan staal!
We got awesome seats. We were about 15th row and some of the first people to enter the arena it seemed like! And what was even cooler? My friend, Alexis, from back home..who also student rushed and was like, second in line, ended up sitting DIRECTLY behind us with her friends! It was crazy! And also super cool to run into so many people I knew at the game (i ran into Ruben, Marissa, AND Kaylie! and saw some people from my high school too!) It's so weird that I'm starting to recognize people when I'm out in Pittsburgh now, after only being here for three semesters...
But anyway, the game was great. The Pens defeated Montreal, and we had an aweeesome time. We even saw ourselves on the jumbotron! So THAT was pretty cool...But I think what made the whole day so incredibly awesome was the fact that Colleen was there, and that the visit was completely unplanned until the day-of. I love those kinds of things; it just doesn't get much better than that.
 our amazinggg seats!
 alexis!
kaylie!
So after Colleen left early Friday morning, I pretty much spent the rest of my weekend sleeping. Literally. I've never slept so much in my liiiife. But it was definitely the way to go. I managed to pull it together for a few hours on Saturday in order to participate in Pitt Make A Difference Day (PMADD for short). I signed up with the floor of the residence hall that I'm living in, and we were assigned Polish Hill (too bad D wasn't there!!) We spent the morning in two different lots, pulling up weeds and TREES. It was a lot of hard work (and as my mom definitely knows, weeding is not my favorite thing in the world), but I'm super glad that I was able to give back to the community. Not to mention that the people there were soooo grateful for what we were doing for them. 
There were about 90 of us assigned to this particular area, and from there we were split up into a few different sites. The Polish Hill Community actually has their own blog in which they took some pictures (photo cred) and wrote about the work that we did! You can read all about it here if you're interested! 

Once I was feeling better, I really got down to work this week and I'm pretty much caught up on everything that I need to be doing. Last night, Steph and I took a nice little trip over to Squirrel Hill in search of some pumpkins! Tis the season, right!? We found some cute little ones and headed over to a friend's house for an APO event: Pumpkin Carving! It was a blast. I really love this group of people; we ended up staying there until about 11pm just because we were having such an awesome time! (and because steph was going super hardcore with her carving). I'd say it was the perfecttt way to get in the Halloween spirit and I love lookin' over and seeing the little guy smiling that toothy smile on my desk ;)
 Kaylie and D
Daniela and Lauren's Pumpkin
My little guy!

So, I wish everyone a great Halloweekend (see what I did there??) and I hope that you all get into the Holiday Spirit and enjoy some spooky music, cool costumes, lots of candy, and even some trick-or-treaters! oh how I miss those days! I know that we will definitely be having a blast this weekend here at Pitt!
Stay Safe!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment