Tuesday, December 13, 2011

some appreciation for da burgh...

My last week in Pittsburgh before I left for home, I came to realize that sometimes I don't take enough time to appreciate the wonderful little things about this city. The small things I overlook every day...like the beautiful view from my window each morning and night, the fact that I have so many of my best friends so close each day, or even just the fact that I have the luxury to call any of them up and meet for coffee or dinner. Or how about the fact that I live in one of the most beautiful cities EVER!? I mean seriously, how much luckier can I get? So, this past week, I really took the time to appreciate this wonderful place that I get to live in for these four crazy years of life. Here are a few other things I love about being here:

christmas in the cathedral; they decorate it
so beautifully here. christmas lights everywhere.
christmas trees at every door. and christmas presents
under every tree. not to mention, that they also keep the
fireplaces lit and the whole place smells like freshly burning
wood for the entire day...its wonderful. and by the number of
students you'll see sitting in the common room every day,
you can tell that everyone else appreciates it too :)
dark chocolate kisses at 2 in the morning
with my wonderful friends in the library.
probably the only great thing about finals week
is that everyone is going through it together...meaning
lots of late nights in the library studying. but mostly
just doing anything EXCEPT studying! we're college 
students...that's what we do!
getting to model as "lazy students" for
a friend's project and ordering the most
delicious thing you could find on the coldstone
menu! mmmmmm. enough said.
 having family in the area--this is something
that i definitely don't take advantage of enough...
this past weekend, my dad came to pick me up, and while
he was here, we celebrated my mimi's (and his!) birthday!
we ate at monteray bay at the top of mount washington, and 
had lots and lots of wonderful sea food. it was delicious.
and the view was absolutely outstanding. i couldn't stop looking
out the window...
and here is that wonderful view! i really
want to make it a goal of mine to visit mount
washington more once the weather gets nicer..it 
really puts into perspective how great this place is.
 trying new restaurants with friends! it
seems like the oakland area is just crawling
with new places to eat lately! and i think that
we're also just discovering a lot of new places--i 
love it! i love trying new places and new foods!
 birthday desserts--for dad and mimi :)
 having awesome spontaneous friends who seem
to be up for just about anything! and very 
generous friends at that! my friend mat took me and 
another friend, ryan, to De Lucas Diner in the Strip District this past Saturday on a whim! (and paid for the entire meal
might i add..what a gentleman!) It was even cooler because 
every saturday the strip district has a huuuge market with tons
of vendors selling yummy food or vintage-y clothes and
lots and lots of steelers gear. I ordered a nutella,
chocolate, and banana crepe. it was wonderful.
finding an apartment with kaylie!!!
it's official--we're going to be the proud 
new owners..er, renters..of a cute little apartment
in panther hollow next august! we're super excited
to move in and become roommates and do cool new-roommate
things! be on the lookout for a joint-blog that we'll
be creating, recounting all of our adventures, successes,
and failures of being on a whole new level of adult-ness...
we can't wait to keep you updated on our new adventure!

i also got to enjoy a nice ride home last night with my
dad. it was probably the fastest ride ever, but i had a
great time getting to bond with him :)
it feels good to be home for a few weeks
without any school work to think about!!

and on that note--finals went well and i think i've 
managed to pull all A's and B's this semester! yay!
good luck to all of my friends still in da burgh
studying away and taking tests; you can do it!
hang in there everybody!! 

2 comments:

  1. :) This post, in addition to the two after it, made me smile so much. You're such an adventurous person and you make ME want to better myself and try new things!

    Thanks for brightening my day and making me appreciate how wonderful life is!

    P.S. CAN'T WAIT TO LIVE TOGETHER and to start our "How-to-Survive-Your-First-Apartment"-esque blog :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) kaylie your comments always mean so much to me, thank you!!!!

    i cant wait to read ALL ABOUT your travels in ITALIA!!! :)))))

    ReplyDelete